14 Nov 2011

Chocolate Heart Birthday Cake with Buttercream


Simple and cute chocolate heart cake covered with buttercream and garnish in lovely pinkish colors that fits well in a little girls dream party.


This heart shaped cake with pink and purple smarties was my cute and lovely niece's 5th birthday cake which I made for her. Actually I had a lot of ideas of making a wonderful dream-come-true girls imaginary fantasy cake with a lot of pinks and something like a barbie-in-the-middle cake or a princess cake. My niece loves being a princess, she dresses up in cute pink dresses and she really wanted a princess themed cake. But her mom told me to not make a whole lot of the cake, "just make something simple" she said, because small girlies at the birthday party waste alot and a simple chocolate cake would do well. I was fine with her wish, but wanted to give my niece the pinks she loves and a cute look to the cake that would look childish and girlish and a little princess-like.


So I ended up making a chocolate cake with a heart shape (she got a thing for hearts <3) and covered it all with buttercream (which I assumed kids would love) and some smarties in girly colors. The idea stroke to me later on (but it was too late) that I could have put a cute little ponny or doll on top of the cake to makeit even more fantastic. However, the chocolate cake turned out good and was well appreciated by my family which finished the remaining cake at the evening family party for my niece.




Serves about 10 - 12

I n g r e d i e n t s

1 spring form heart shaped about 22 - 24 cm

Chocolate cake

1 recipe chocolate cake recipe, doubled quantity (click for recipe and step-by-step photos)

Buttercream frosting

100 g butter
175 g icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla sugar
0,25 tbsp milk

pink coloring


smarties in pinkish colors
white heart sprinkles
white pearls


1. Cream the butter until it becomes creamy and smooth
2. Sift in icing sugar, little by little while you mix well between each time until it becomes really pale (almost white) in color and smooth
3. Add vanilla sugar and a little milk to get a smoother icing
4. Keep aside about 1/5 part of the icing in another bowl and add som pink coloring to get a very light pink color
5. Spread the white buttercream icing evenly on all the sides of the cake
6. Spread the pink buttercream on top of the cake and pipe swirls all around following the heart shape with white icing using a medium star tip
7. Likewise pipe all around the bottom also to give a nice finish (small flat-tagged tip)
8. With the remaining white buttercream pipe branches all around on the sides and dot with pink butter cream to give them a flowery look and some white pearls
9. I used pink and purple smarties on the top to give it a more childish and cute look
10. Complete the cake with some heart sprinkles and pipe in desired message or leave it plain - you can also put a cute ponny in purple or pink or a small doll on top of the cake

Love you, my cute little nieces <3




No comments:

Post a Comment