16 Mar 2011

Kladdkaka (Swedish Brownies Cake)


Ever since I came over the famous "Kladdkaka" with swedish origin on google, I have been so excited to try it out. Especially after reading things such as "Sweden's most loved cake" and "the best cake ever" my excitement was in the sky! I googled a lot to dish out the best of the best recipe which I could find and believe me it is not easy to find the "right one" recipe in the huge ocean of recipes out there. But then I decided to try out this recipe from Kladdkaka recept, which is a webpage dedicated to "kladdkakas" only as it had about 600 comments full of positive feedback.


I guess not everyone is aware of what a "kladdkaka" is? Being a very close neighbour of Sweden I did not have any problem guessing it. For those of you who do not know, "kladdkaka" means "smear or mud cake" and the name lives up to the result, because the cake comes out very smeary and mud-like in texture. To be honest this cake is so near fudge brownies.


And I love this cake from the very first bite, or wait, from the very first licking of batter from the bowl! It tastes heavenly, just as brownie batter. And I even think this cake is so much better than my brownies which I love so much, mostly because I love the fudgy texture of this cake. Beside that it tastes 99 % as brownies, which is perfectly good. And it is done in one, two and three. So chocolicious with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or whipped cream, I had it with turkish yoghurt and it was yum! I am so going to make it too often now, atleast three times a week. And I have to make a large portion next time cause as the brownies, these were also gone after 2 minutes and left the rest asking "where is the cake?" (I did cut a large piece and hide it for my evening tea before anyone would get their eyes on it)! What a cake, I love Sweden <3



Makes about 16 pieces

I n g r e d i e n t s

2 egg
2,5 dl sugar
1 dl all-purpose flour
4 tbsp cocoa powder
2 tsp vanilla powder
0,5 tsp salt
100 g butter

(icing sugar for dusting)

Grease a spring form, about 24-26 cm

1. Melt the butter
2. Whisk egg and sugar until fluffy
3. Add flour, cocoa powder, vanilla powder, salt and melted butter
4. Mix carefully (you do not want to mix in too much air, because that will result in a cakey texture)
5. Pour in prepared tin

Bake at 175C at lowest slot for about 15-20 minutes (depending on how muddy you want it)

Let cool, dust heavily with icing sugar using a sieve and serve with vanilla ice cream, whipped cream or thick yoghurt and fruits (kiwi)!

No comments:

Post a Comment