21 Mar 2011

Prince's Cake ~ A Luxury Treat


I promised my neighbour girl to bake something and send over at her home this weekend, well I told her Saturday, but was not able to bake before Sunday. As she did not have any idea of what cake I would make, I decided to bake Prince's Cake which is originally named "Fyrstekake" in norwegian, which is nut cake no 1 in Norway. This is a mighty pie which consists of a soft shortcrust pastry which is filled with delicious almond macaron filling.
 


This cake does not have much to offer in appearance as it looks quite dull and dry, but let me tell you this cake is a treat in itself and have a majestic touch all over it. It tastes even greater when it get to set for a day.
I would call it king of the nut cakes that exist, this is no less than a pure confectionary! I am sure my mom loves this cake, and she did not really seemed to be happy when I sent away over half of the cake to our neighbours with only a few bites left for evening tea.



This cake is actually not of norwegian origin as it was brought to Norway in 1860 by a confectioner in Trondheim. This is more of a luxury cake as it uses a lot of almonds and I do not really make it too often since almonds is quite expensive commodity. But once in a while it is good to indulge in some luxury and this cake is recommended from the inner of my heart. You will fall in love with it! I guess they used to serve this cake to princes in the origin country.
You may use whatever shape of baking pan you like, but the classic version is round.
 



I n g r e d i e n t s


125 g butter
80 g sugar
1 egg or 2 egg yolks
2 tbsp water
1,5 tsp baking powder
225 all-purpose flour


* Grease a spring form 22 cm

1. Beat butter and sugar together until fluffy and pale in color
2. Mix in egg (egg yolks) and water
3. Mix flour and baking powder and sieve it in the batter
4. Knead dough lightly together and leave covered and cool in fridge while you make the almond filling


Almond paste


150 g almonds
150 g icing sugar
2 egg whites
1. Whisk egg whites and add icing sugar little by little until you get a meringue like batter
2. Grind the almonds and fold in


How to

1. Press out 1/3 of the dough evenly in bottom of spring form and approx. 2 cm above the edges
2. Spread almond paste evenly over the bottom
3. Roll remaining dough into a 3 mm thick wafer. Cut the dough sheets in 1 cm wide strips that you place over the almond mixture into a diagonal
checkerboard pattern
4. Brush with beaten egg
Bake on middle shelf in the oven at 175 C for about 30-40 minutes until golden brown and cooked through

No comments:

Post a Comment